Thursday, March 10, 2011

Beth and the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day

11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

Jeremiah 29:11


So I had a pretty rough couple of days this last week. I feel like the text I sent one of my assistants at 1:30 in the morning pretty much sums it up:


"Store will be TRASHED from construction when you get in in the morning. Roaches falling from ceiling. Call Terminix. Office computer crashed. See you at 1."


Do you remember that book from when you were a kid? Alexander and the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day??


"I went to sleep with gum in my mouth and now there's gum in my hair and when I got out of bed this morning I tripped on the skateboard and by mistake I dropped my sweater in the sink while the water was running and I could tell it was going to be a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day."


Bless his little heart. The whole book chronicles this kids bad day. His solution is to move to Australia. It ends with his mother telling him that some days are just like this -- even in Australia.


My days have been a combination of the regular work day with the added bonus of a construction project happening simultaneously for the past week. It's inconvenient and stressful and it's getting OLD. Speaking of old, the late 50's general contractor, has taken up a past-time of hitting on me anytime he's in my store. Which to be honest, was a little flattering the first time, even given his age. 5 days of it? Not funny, not flattering, not ok anymore.


I was dealing ok with the construction and the big work week, until yesterday morning when my computer -- which had been acting up --- was determined unsalvageable, and wiped clean of all my files and documents from the last 2 years. 2 years of work friends. My heart hurts just thinking about it. I have to remind myself that the files on my computer do not show my accomplishments, and that my growth and my talent as an employee is communicated in other ways --- but its hard not to think that much like the last 2 years of my life in a struggling economy in a retail environment --- was it all a waste?


I was reading something in a study last week that I thought was pretty interesting and I keep thinking about it in the midst of my crap-tastic couple days. Jeremiah 29:11 is such a well known verse, and I would guess several people you ask would even tell you it was their favorite.  "For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." The study I was reading challenged you to think of the exact opposite of what this says, and write out what you think Satan is trying to convince you of when he tells you the opposing message. I came up with something like this:


"This is not going to happen for you. You should give up. Just be ok with being miserable. That heavy weight that you're carrying? You deserve it and should just get used to it"


Satan is the author of all lies. And when I start to hear things like this in my head, I'm trying to identify that that line of thought is coming straight from him. There is no truth in that. Isn't it interesting how a couple bad days can take my thoughts and just dominate them?? I mean, just set you on a path towards mental distruction. Crazy. Literally.

My week is already turning up. Just gotta march right through it right?

Beth






1 comment:

  1. Just read this. While I laughed a little to myself (at how comical you make these days sound) I also thought about how much God has shown Himself to you in the last year and I thought about Alexander too and how often I freak out at shoe stores ;)

    ReplyDelete