Sunday, January 23, 2011

Week 52 --- Psalm 81:5

I hear this most gentle whisper from One
I never guessed would speak to me...

So I'm really bad at finishing things. If you are looking for someone to cast a vision, or brainstorm an idea, or get people excited about starting a project --- I'm your girl. But bringing it all to completeness and closure, I struggle with that....

Here are some books that I'm currently reading.....

 Some of these I just started, some have been on this shelf for a long time....

Check out where my bookmarks are... haha... I get started and then I want to start something else and I never make it back to them...

Well, and then I guess there are these that are by my bed that I've started too ... it's not like it's a race to finish them, but I struggle to finish what I've started.

And in my attempt to illustrate for you all how this is an issue for me, I'm now totally freaking myself out that I really do have a problem to deal with here. Mercy. I did not see this going this way.  

This is a piece I started several years ago...

I've got big plans for adding these little ceramic pieces and creating somewhat of a mosaic with this...but it's been years in the making. I can honestly justify that I don't have a lot of time for my artwork, but I also think there's something about me that likes to have a lot of things "in progress".

All this to say... the 52 verses I've been talking about? Finished it. It's such a perfect example of how God's power is made perfect in our weaknesses, because as I've stated, I'm not a good finisher. 

In fact, I didn't tell very many people I was going to do this. Just two in the beginning. And then I gained some confidence and started sharing with a few people. And can I just tell you, the journey of following God through scripture, one verse at a time has absolutely rocked me to my core. Did you know He'll talk to you? He really will. The verses in His Word are not an accident and he wrote them to help us. It's been such a discovery. 

Speaking of discovery, I think that I find more in the Bible if I'm really looking for it. Maybe that's oversimplifying. But if you are a fan through the pages and hope that the Bible will fall open to what you need for that moment kind of gal, I'm really glad that works for you and I know God has the power to speak to you that way --- but what has blessed me has been the times where I'm honest with God, we figure out my needs, and then I search the scriptures for something that speaks to that. And it never dissappoints. 

This year has really helped me see the beauty in sticking with something to the end. I've decided it's good for the soul to try and do something that takes a year to finish.

If I ever get a tattoo, it will be this line of music...


This was my recital piece when I was in the 7th grade I think. It's a ho hum little Scherzando that probably every piano-playing kid has learned. The music is lovely, until you get to the end that is...and then it starts to build...and by the end you are playing faster, and it's getting exciting and then these low crashing chords bring you to the last line that makes playing through the whole song totally worth it. Its a reminder to me to finish things. The ending is sometimes the best part.

I've struggled with how to end this year-long project, I've put off writing this last journal entry, because I don't really want it to end. I stopped emailing the verses on Sunday nights when December ended, and last week I sent one out, just because I missed it. Jesus, how thankful I am that your Word has burned such an impression on my heart that I miss it when I'm not talking about it with others. 

My hope for what I'd like to do to keep myself (and maybe others) accountable in 2011 for being in the scriptures is already cooking and I will share with you all soon. I think there's something to be said for having a plan and I'm excited for what that's going to look like.

Dear God,

I thank you for the year 2010. I thank you for the times that brought me to my knees and the times that I could hardly contain myself with how much joy you give. I thank you for your word and the way I see you work through it. I thank you for my chair and my favorite quilt and how I look forward to spending time reading about you in that spot. I thank you for the words that you gave to me at the perfect moment throughout 12 months, 52 weeks and 365 days, help me to believe that your purpose and your timing is for my benefit and my good. I thank you for the women who joined me on this and sent emails, left comments or mentioned the verse that week -- the accountability was precious to me. As I look back over the year, I'm struck by how real you are and how close you are to me. I'm thankful for your patience with me :) I'm thankful you didn't give up on me. Sitting here now I'm wondering what's next? And even as I type that it makes me a little nervous. Help me to anticipate Your goodness and look forward to how I can serve You in the coming year. Man I love you. I had no idea how great this could be. 

Love, Beth 

No comments:

Post a Comment