Thursday, January 27, 2011

January --- Confidence

2010 was a year that needed some structure. I did the 52 verses in a desperate attempt to get myself into my Bible on a regular basis. It worked. I'm totally into it and have been trying to decide what to do in 2011 to stay excited.

I discovered that I really like seeking something out. If you've been following the blog for a few months, you know that I was way interested in finding answers about God's goodness for awhile. And while I don't have specific answers, I have found that God's goodness is all over that Bible. I find more when I'm looking with a purpose.

My goal for 2011 is to pick 12 things I want to learn more about and look for scriptures and verses to help me understand. I was talking with a woman that works for me today and she challenged me that I really like to create forms and guides and checklists and schedules and quizzes when I train them on something ...then she said something mind-blowing...."sometimes we just need you to talk to us"

12 is my goal, which would be one topic per month, but if I get really interested in something or God puts it on my heart to keep on something, I'm going to just go with it instead of "checking it off a list and keeping on schedule". There's got to be some room for grace right?

So January? You might be wondering? ....it's all about Confidence.

Here's how I have started this journey of learning how to be confident in Jesus--- (Well aside from living the previous 26 years of my life not confidently and finally identifying it, I guess I did that first...) ---but I have started with some scripture memorization. Here it goes team, we are on the honor system here, so trust me when I tell you I am typing this from memory:

Psalm 27
The Lord is my Light and my Salvation
of whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life
of whom shall I be afraid?
When evil men advance against me to devour my flesh
When my enemies and my foes attacked me
They stumbled and fell.
Though an army besiege me,
my heart shall not fear
Though wars rise up against me,
Even then will I be confident.

One thing I ask of the Lord,
this is what I seek:
That I may dwell in the house of the Lord
all the days of my life
To gaze upon the beauty of the Lord,
to seek Him in His temple.
Then in the day of trouble he will keep me safe in His dwelling place.

OH YEAH!!! That's all I got so far --- it's verses 1 through 5ish, out of a total of 14. More to come. I'm liking how it feels to have this stuff locked in my head. It's also what I've found is my kick-off to confidence.

I've been trying to think about what has come before the "even then will I be confident" in my life. David, the man who wrote this Psalm was concerned with physical safety it seems. He's worried about armies and wars and "the wicked" and all that seems pretty legit as far as things to be anxious about... :) But what has it been for me??

The Lord is the stronghold of my life,
of whom shall I be afraid.
Though people have hurt me in my past and made me feel worthless?
though I haven't accomplished what I set out to do?
My heart shall not fear.
Though I struggle with being single, and my heart hurts sometimes...
Even then will I be confident.

I think there's a lot of things I could "fill in" to that Psalm and I'm pretty sure you could too. The truly interesting part is that when you put your confidence in Jesus, the response is always the same. 

Confidence is a tricky thing. It makes us really evaluate where our security comes from and where we find our strength. I'm really excited about this process and I hope that if you have thoughts or questions or quotes or ideas you'll leave them here too so you can help me figure this out. :)

Confidently His,
Beth

OH! Do you get the Sound of Music banner??? 

No comments:

Post a Comment