Sunday, June 20, 2010

Week 23 --- Luke 11:13


“If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!”


I've decided to start praying that God will show me who He is through blessings and good things for a little while. Not forever, but just for a season I would like to discover more about Him through that route. I'm not even talking Prayer of Jabez, increase my territory business --- I just feel like God has revealed himself to me in difficult circumstances and I would like to also find him in the goodness of life. Above all else, I want to learn to submit to His will for me in any circumstance, however I know he doesn't mind if I ask, so I'm gonna :)


Over the past few weeks, I've tried to be conscious of the good things that I have in my life. This list is by no means all-inclusive, but the things that I find myself loving about life on any random day. I think these really are the lesser of what's described in the verse above. I think that the verse implies that if I consider these to be good gifts, how much more will the Father be willing to give the Holy Spirit to me. I learned a lot about the Holy Spirit a couple summers ago, and I think it's important to note that we just have to ask to be filled with Him. "Lord, empty me out of all my garbage, junk, sin and baggage. Here are the things that hurt me today, the things that people have said that I can't forget, and the nasty things that I've been thinking that I feel guilty about. Now that we've created some room, fill me with your Spirit, I don't deserve it but you offer it and I love you and thank you."




Some of my Good Things, that overwhelmly turned out to be people:



1) My friend that will put me in the car and take me out of town when I need it. The same friend that lets me sleep at her house and cry on her porch. The friend that is the sister of my heart, what a good gift.



2) My friend that asks the hard questions --- "When was the last time you showered? When are you getting out of bed?" Things like that that seem difficult after a break up or crisis that I don't want to answer, but probably should. This is the same friend that shows up with short people jokes and witty sarcasm after a bad date vs ice cream or chocolate. I love her.


3) My mom that gives me the Laurie-badge every day of my life. Her vote of confidence makes me feel like I can do it.


4) My friend that has watched how life has changed me in the last 2 years. My friend that talks things through with me, and let's me try out my thoughts as they occur to me. My friend who is quick to point out scripture and what that means for my situations.



5) My friend who makes the best comfort food ever. Do you know that she makes me milk and cookies whenever I want? And is quick to tell me how much she appreciates me. Such a gift.



(this is really her ... she has an awesome bakery.)


6) My friend who I have spent less than 3 hours with in person, but knows my heart and my history. She is my modern day pen pal and such an illustration of God's redeeming power in any circumstance.




7) My boss who told me several year ago that I am going places. Big places. And when I get there, she wants to be able to tell people that she is so proud to have gotten to be the person that helped me get there. My other boss who is many states away but who asks me about Bible Study and ministry. They are the women who exemplify leadership in my life and I am blessed to have found them in a most unlikely field. Gifts.



8) My big chair and coffee with good creamer.



9) The book of Esther. The feeling that it is God's word, living and active in me. The little ribbon in my Bible that tugged at my heart when I moved it out of this portion of scripture.



10) My realtor. I know that's random, but God put this Christian man in a position to speak truth to me at just the right time. I will recommend him to any potential home-buyer for life. :)




11) My church family. The group of people that I am going through life with --- they are flawed and human, but I could not ask for a more wonderful, loving, persistent, community of believers.


13) My Dad who sends me flowers and takes me to lunch. I've never wondered for one single minute of my life if my Dad is proud of me, he tells me all the time.



I wrote on a notecard last week, "God, that I would never trade this feeling of intimacy for whatever idea I had of happiness."


3 comments:

  1. have i mentioned to you lately that you are one amazing WOMAN!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are not so bad yourself my friend!! Thank you for reading my blog!!! :) It means a lot :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you. And I am soooo proud of you for doing the hard and courageous work called 'positive change' in your life. To God be the Glory, sister.

    ReplyDelete