Monday, September 13, 2010

Week 33 --- Isaiah 9:6

For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

This verse just instantly makes me think of Christmas (which then invokes feelings of dread and stress due to my very retail job) but this week I really wanted to think about the idea of Christ being our counselor. And not just our counselor, but our Wonderful Counselor.

I have experienced counseling and therapy in several different facets and venues and here are some of my thoughts on how this gives me a better understanding of how God is our wonderful counselor. *** I started out writing this from a very outsider perspective, but the truth is I think the hard part about accepting the help of a counselor is accepting that you are in some way broken. It has been so eye-opening to me to learn how badly I want people to think I have it all together -- independent, self-sufficient, blah blah blah -- pride!! We are all broken and we all have need of wise counsel.

So here's my thoughts...

First of all, an hour spent with a counselor is time that is 100% focused on conversation that leads to healing. It builds such confidence in a person to know that the goal of a discussion is my good. My feelings are valid, my thoughts are important and everything is considered in finding a solution. Do we believe that God wants to know our thoughts and how we feel about things?? I really think he does.

Second of all, my very best friend in this world is a Licensed Mental Health Practitioner, she's a great therapist. But what helps me understand this role in my life as a counselor and friend is that there is no doubt in my mind that she has my back.


She knows my story. We talk often, if not daily. She knows the small things and the big things about me and sticks by me. The time that we have spent talking through life is so valuable to me and her willingness to keep listening, and then keep listening some more is such a picture to me of Christ's desire for friendship with us. I know I have mentioned before that it's hard for me to cry in front of others, and Stef is my person that I can break down in front of, get mad, feel better, and get upset over something else, in the course of minutes. There's something beautiful in having someone that you can feel totally safe sharing your emotions and feelings with, and Jesus so so desires for us to bring those to him. He evens offers to take the bad ones from us. I think He's looking for that conversation and that time spent together with us.

I keep finding things in my artwork that give me such an illustration of Jesus, and in regards to him being our counselor I think he's a "reduction artist". I love to paint with watercolor, and I don't do it a lot, but the idea is taking the pigment and adding water and creating different shades and tints with water.


Now here is where it gets interesting.... several techniques in watercolor involve taking the paint back up or reducing the paint back. You can start by laying down something that will block the paint. Or you can lay something on top that will absorb the paint afterwards.

can you see the salt on the canvas?? it's so cool how it sucks up the extra water and paint so instantly :)

I think Jesus takes the paintings of our situations and absorbs and peels back layers to find the perfect picture of His grace. There's something so powerful in me laying down the best that I can do and then Him absorbing the sins and the flaws that I so often find in my life.


 It also encourages me that the first draft is not the final product --- He is my redeemer! Amen right!?

I started looking for other places in the Bible where we see the word Counselor and most often in the Old Testament it is used to describe people that advise and guide, mostly when decisions are being made. But here is my absolute favorite part of all of this business --- perhaps what it all leads up to --- in the New Testament the word Counselor is used many many time to describe the Holy Spirit in our lives. Holy Spirit and Counselor are used interchangeably.

John 14:16
And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever—

John 14:26
But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.

John 16:7
But I tell you the truth: It is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Counselor will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you.

Oh there is power in learning that! The Wonderful Counselor is the Holy Spirit and he is with us friends. Always. He's in us and around us and with us and for us. His goal is our healing and our guidance, he is a constant companion, he wants to protect and intercede and fight for us. Man that makes me feel good. My constant companion and counselor is someone who intercedes for me to the God of the universe. Glory! :)

Hope you all are having good weeks!! I'm praying for big things --- I mean really big --- for you all and for me this week.

Beth

1 comment:

  1. Sis, this post moves me so much. You are a great person and a fantastic friend to so many people, including (lucky) me. I learn a lot about loving people the way Christ loves the church when I think about the way you have loved me and my family. You are a super strong woman, and I admire your courage.

    ReplyDelete