Thursday, October 21, 2010

Week 40 --- Proverbs 19:20-21

Listen to advice and accept instruction, and in the end you will be wise. Many are the plans in a woman's heart, but it is the LORD's purpose that prevails.

Listen to advice and accept instruction.....why is that so difficult?!?

When I read this verse I'm really challenged by the "many are the plans in a woman's heart" ---- and wondering why scripture doesn't just come right out and say "beth, why don't you stop trying to control and plan everything" I think the hard part of this is that it's hard for me to picture what life looks like when I give up control. I listened to a fantastic lesson on this by Andy Stanley called "The Best Question Ever" if you're looking for a little mid-week pick-me-up teaching :)

(If you like that clip, you can find the whole series on a free itunes podcast -- it was life changing for me)

But back to the issue of control. I've been thinking a lot lately about the my issues of pride. I was telling a friend about my thoughts on pride, and I said that I think all sins might be traced back to pride -- which apparently other people have already noticed, haha "pride is the root of all evil" etc. So my thoughts were not new or ground-breaking, but at least they are starting to get really real to me.

I was so blessed this past week. Sitting in a group of Christian women, as people really start to open their hearts to each other. I think when someone shares a truth and is fully expecting stones to be thrown at them, and instead receives understanding and grace and love -- man, we're gaining some ground there. And by we I mean us and Jesus. Praise him!

The life that God asks us to seek after is one that trusts that His purpose will prevail. His purpose. Just let that weight come up off your shoulders. You do not have to run the show. You are not responsible for keeping everyone happy. You are not able to save yourself, even if you try. His purpose is that we would love Jesus and live a life that makes other people want to know him more too. All this time and energy we spend on stuff that just makes us feel more drained and more empty at the end of the day -- can you just let it go???

Less pride. More purpose. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment