Monday, October 11, 2010

Week 37 --- Hebrews 12:1

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

The phrase in this verse "Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfector of our faith" is one of my go-to verses. Someone once challenged me to picture Jesus above me, holding my face in both of his hands saying 'just keep looking at me' -- 'don't look at what they're doing or listen to what they're saying' -- 'just keep looking at me'. Anytime I'm stressed about things that are happening in my life, I think about the verse and fixing my eyes right on Jesus.

I was so encouraged when I went to look up the exact reference for this verse, because it also includes the phrase about being surrounded by a great cloud of witnesses. And let me tell you, I have a great cloud of witnesses. I think that scripture is probably referring to the angels and christians that have gone before us in this statement, but I think it can also mean the friends and support we find around us on any given day.

Last month, I did something that was so hard for me, but with the shared strength of my friends rallying around me, it wasn't as scary. I needed to have a difficult conversation with someone. I had a friend praying in the parking lot of the place it would occur in the next day. I had another friend pick me up and drive me there and pray with me before I went it. I had yet another friend pick right up afterwards and pray guarding thoughts for my mind in the hours after I was done. So many people just surrounding me with love and support --- kinda makes you feel like you can throw off everything that hinders you and run with perseverance huh? :) 

I've been thinking about our cloud of witnesses a lot lately. I think if we don't find ourselves in the middle of this, we should drop everything and find one. We are designed to need one another and I'm pretty sure Satan could not be any happier than when he finds us off on our own -- isolated--- and without a cloud of witnesses surrounding us. I know I am most vulnerable when I'm left to my own thoughts and to be honest, pity, sometimes. Ugggg. Just some thoughts. 

I recently went on a little East coast adventure :) Here are some highlights ... 


If you are going to get yourself up at the crack of dawn to catch a flight, it is so darn wonderful to have something to look forward to during your travels. My "something to look forward to" is Caribou Coffee at Minneapolis International and an ipod full of Dr. Quin episodes. Perfection I tell you. :)

 

Francine Rivers. You stayed away so long!! Carrying this 20 pound book around in my purse may have given my back permanent trauma, but it was so worth it to have a page-turner to look forward to for my down time.

First stop in the south. Chik-fil-A. Milkshake and Waffle fries. :)

 
This is my friend Jeanne and her daughter Jessica. We are very much like modern day pen pals and don't get to see each other very often. Part of my trip was visiting her and her family and seeing their new home and catching up. Such a blessing! Shared experiences and digging through life to find grace--- we have so much in common and I'm so thankful for this friendship that came from such an unlikely place. It's that cloud of witnesses again and I am so thankful!

 
"Chocolate Drink" Not milk, drink. HAHA --I'd never tried Yoohoo. Lot's of firsts on this trip :)

 
Sitting on the beach with my book, ipod, diet coke and sour gummy worms. Such a great day -- the clouds rolling in messed with my plans a little bit, but still a wonderful time to listen to the waves and relax.

 
Spending time with my Dad. He was working for quite a bit of the time we were out there, but our windshield time in the car was so great. Dreaming about life and ministry. It almost breaks my heart how much my dad loves me. We drove for an hour to eat breakfast by the ocean and he had been looking forward to that for several days. When we got to the little cafe he insisted I sit on the side of the table that looked over the water, even though he'd been the most excited about eating on the beach. He's so good to me.
 

While I was away, I missed a very special day for another very special person in my cloud of witnesses. My friend Autumn and her husband and family came into my life exactly when I needed it most. I think God has a hand in the timing of those things :)








No comments:

Post a Comment